Jun 27, 2018
When you take a moment to think about you, technology, and
boundaries, don't you feel the guilt and pressure? Most of us have
a love/hate relationship with technology, and struggle to create
boundaries around tech. In this episode, I'll help you define your
boundaries around technology and inspire you to own technology,
rather than letting technology own you.
Biggest Takeaways From Episode #16:
- When you hear the word “consumption” you probably think of
food. In reality, you are consuming all of the time you are
conscious and awake.
- Here are some specific signs that you may have a problem with
- You get online for a specific purpose, and realize later that
you haven’t completed what you set out to do.
- You spend more time documenting what you’re doing and uploading
it to social media than enjoying the moment.
- You use technology to procrastinate and avoid tasks or goals
that need your attention.
- You're busy, but not productive.
- You feel out of control around technology.
- You realize that your use of technology is preventing you from
accomplishing goals or dreams.
- Here are some specific solutions—and boundaries—regarding
technology and devices:
- Track and notice what you’re doing now.
- Do an honest evaluation of whether your relationship with
technology is enhancing your life and bringing you closer to your
- Experiment with not having your devices with you in some
settings or situations.
- Set a timer when using technology or completing a task that
requires you to be online, for example.
Highlights from Episode #16:
- Vicki gives an overview of the topic of today’s episode: you,
technology, and boundaries. [02:30]
- We hear about consumption in general, as well as consumption in
technology specifically. [04:27]
- Neuroscience has taught us that images are very powerful and
stored in a part of the brain that is older than our thoughts.
- Vicki talks about some of the signs that you may have a problem
with technology. [12:34]
- Pay attention to your physiological responses when it comes to
using technology. [20:06]
- We hear about some solutions regarding technology and devices.
Links and Resources: