Nov 14, 2018
Ready or not, the holidays are coming! And today I want to talk
about how to navigate this potentially tricky season with good
self-care and better boundaries. It’s simple, but not easy. In this
episode, I’ll talk about how the quality of your boundaries impacts
your experience of the holidays, and make some recommendations
about how you can navigate this season with more ease and joy.
Biggest Takeaways From Episode #35:
- Adults have the right to decide how they spend their time, and
with whom. This is true not only in everyday life, but also during
the holidays. It can be a struggle, though, to tell your family and
friends how you would like to participate (or not participate) in
various holiday events and rituals.
- Other people, even family members, don’t have a right to make
their preferences or priorities your preferences or priorities.
What they want doesn’t create an obligation or duty for you, unless
you choose to take it on.
- To navigate the holidays, sit down and make a list of all the
events that you typically engage in during the season, or that
you’re planning to add this year. Reflect on past holiday events
and think about what your needs or preferences are for this year.
Ask yourself whether there are any ways in which you would like to
do these events differently.
- Give yourself permission to do what you want to do with regard
to each of the events or activities that you’ve listed. This can be
very challenging, so focus on progress rather than perfection!
Highlights from Episode #35:
- Vicki introduces the topic of this episode and talks about the
upcoming holiday season. [00:40]
- Every single adult has a right to decide how, and with whom,
they spend their time. This principle applies equally during the
- Vicki points out that other people, including friends and
relatives, may have specific ideas about what we should (or
shouldn’t) do. [06:18]
- We learn some tips for how to navigate the holidays with better
self-care and boundaries. [07:21]
- Vicki offers advice for those who feel the need to explain when
they decline an invitation. [11:27]
- Once you have a clear idea of how you want to do this
differently this holiday season, if you’re married or partnered,
sit down with your spouse and talk about your preferences so that
you can come up with a game plan. [14:03]
- If you struggle around the sorts of choices that Vicki has been
talking about, go back and listen to
Episode 34: Women, Choose Self-Care Over
Links and Resources: